Saturday, November 22, 2014

My first UW International Competition




I have come a long way when it comes to diving.  I have been curious about diving since I was in secondary school. I remembered watching it on TV and said to myself that one day I would want to experience the beauty of underwater world first hand.

Of course it was met with much scorn from my parents as they viewed the sports as a dangerous activity.

I finally made my break when I managed to convince my then-husband to dive. To cut story short- my first open water experience was unpleasant. I raptured my eardrum and I was banned from diving for good 6 months.

That does not stop me from pursuing my interest. I managed to get my license almost a year after the ear popping experience. I managed to get my open water license and I continued my Advance Open Water PADI certification soon after.

Although the interest is there, my skills are rather appalling. I was definitely not a water baby. I hyperventilated whenever I dived.  My buoyancy was poor.  I take rather really long for me to equalize my ears – partly the fear that it might pop again and partly, very bad technique. Despite all this, I continued diving.

I remembered cursing underwater photographer because they take way too long when they are photographing an object. I find it a chore waiting for them as I struggle to keep my buoyancy.

 The old adage of practice makes perfect rings some truth. With a lot of practice, I am more comfortable underwater. I am more calm, I can equalize easily and my body is much more streamline.  I was getting better at underwater marine life recognition. I am enjoying the diving much more as my skill improves.

Underwater photography is a natural progression once I am better at diving. I remembered a buddy borrowed the camera at Tenggol. I was so busy capturing the octopus that I made the whole team waited the whole time while I busy snapping the photos.  I must confess till today, I still make the whole team wait, just not as long:)

In 2012, I entered inaugural KR international underwater photography competition in Lembeh for fun. I was not expecting anything, as all of the participants are so competitive. They have the best equipment and they capture really beautiful shots of the macro life. I felt so small. I remembered not wanting to submit my entry but my buddy encouraged me to submit my photos.

Before the results were announced, they showed slideshow of the entry photos. I watched with admiration how beautiful the other entry shots. There is no way my photos comes near to those images. When they announced the winner, I was so shocked that I came in first for the compact camera category. Me? The winner of compact camera category? Yes, that's right. I came in first. http://trip.underwater.kr/20121217/shootout-2012-result/lembeh-contest-2012-23/

That experience encourages me to be a better UW photographer. I read more UW photography tips so I can capture more beautiful images. I put more effort in improving the camera composition so the pictures turn out beautifully.

I am saving my money so I can invest in better equipment. I have made good friends along the way. We have a long list of dive sites we want to do. With our improved equipment, it would be a waste if we did not dive around the world right?

# Balqesh Abdullah




No comments: